Monday, November 14, 2011

Tonight there is one less...

We received Jillian this afternoon. Of our group of four families, she was the first to be brought out. The two nannies who accompanied her talked to her a bit and pointed at us a lot. Jillian's just shook her head no...and her little eyes welled up (but not a tear was shed!). Once we moved to a couch area to sit down, I had Lia sit beside her. We just spoke quietly to her and rubbed her back and arm a little bit from time to time. I could not have been more proud of Lia. She definitely made Jillian feel more comfortable. Slowly we introduced some toys...and before I knew it, Jillian was high five-ing and laughing out loud at our silly antics with goldfish crackers. She is quite adept with her short arm and in no time, was navigating a snack trap cup to get some goldfish herself...to eat, to feed to Lia...and eventually to me.

Her favorite toy was the play cell phone we brought...and she loved pushing the buttons and looking for Jim...who would then open HIS phone and "answer". The nannies said over and over how smart Jillian is...and used the word "easy-going" at least three times. So far we can agree!

When it was time to leave, Lia took Jillian's hand and walked her to the elevator. I had to pick her up to get her in the elevator...and she fussed for a moment...but got over it soon...and rode home on the bus on my lap.

Back here, at the hotel, we just let her play. She has a bit of a runny nose...and when I brought a tissue, she very sweetly blew her nose! Then...every time her nose would run, she started pointing to the tissue box for me to get busy. I stole a little kiss each time I did her nose. :-)

Jim and Lia elicited belly laughs by pretending to fall on the bed. We have it on tape...will post soon.

She was wearing a diaper when we met her, but her nanny said they put it on her only because the ride/day was long. When I took off her diaper, she was still dry...and she proceeded to use the potty. She let me know she had to go later as well.

She is smaller than I anticipated. We may be doing some fast shopping for a few outfits and shoes. What I brought for Lia in 2006 was a bit too small. It seems I am not a great extrapolator of size estimates. :-)

She speaks more Cantonese dialect than Mandarin. We throught this might be the case...but so far language does not seem to be throwing her and she has already repeated "all done".

Jillian brushed her teeth after watching Lia do it...but not sure she was overly fond of the flavor. She already seems to understand, at least in part, our English instructions.

I know this post is jumbled...just wanted to get down my thoughts and get some quick, unedited (how that pains me!) photos up. Right now, both girls are sleeping on Lia's bed. Jillian let me snuggle her a bit...but then pointed plainly to Lia laying on her bed. I laid down on her other side...and in no time, we were all sleeping. I got up eventually...but I am letting sleeping dogs lie with the girls. We will try a bath with Jillian tomorrow. I remember how traumatized Lia seemed by her first bath, the first night we had her...and while I really wanted to get Jillian in the tub...her security trumps that. For tonight at least. Other than the training pants I put on her, she sleeps in the clothes she came in. :-)

All in all...not a bad first day. :-) We are blessed beyond reason.

And now...onto the good stuff...













25 comments:

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

OMW!!!!! I Love love love the pictures!!!!!! I'm so happy for all of you!!!! She is precious!!!! xoxo

Kellyann said...

How precious! Congratulations! What a sweetheart. Sounds like all is going well so far. What a GREAT BIG SISTER Lia is being already.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I am just in tears:) What a beautiful child of God! Lia is already the most amazing sister! Praying for the rest of your trip.

McNew Family said...

Congratulations - your family is beautiful!

Kristi said...

Can you believe you finally have her? Congratulations@

Kiy said...

Oh, she is darling! So happy the first day went well. That's always the scariest day for everyone. Love how Lia is being such a great big sister. Happy Jillian Day!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I have such happy tears right now!! Jillian is a precious (PETITE) doll and I'm so thankful this part of your long journey is over and you are on the new part of the road. I pray the bonding will go smoothly and that all of you will have patience as you learn about each other...

Congratulations!!!

xo~
Lisa

Linda said...

I've been following your blog and am so incredibly happy for you! Lia is going to be an amazing Big sister! So happy for all of you! :) Jillian is PRECIOUS!!! Can't wait to meet her!

Steffie B. said...

OMW.....I am just crying tears of joy for ALL of you.....what a sweet precious girl and Lia.....well she is just a rockstar!

Love to you all.....
Steffie

Unknown said...

So so so so happy for you all... she is soooo sweet. Love the photo of the two girls.. adorable!!!

Much happiness for you all!!

Missy et al

Heather said...

That last picture did me in!! jillian is gorgeous and Lia is most definitely a rock star! Very, very happy for you! Blessings as you bond and grow to know each other. What a blessing!! Will be praying for each and every day to be as precious as this!!
Love,
Heather

paige said...

oh i LOVE lia's expression & jillian's too!!
what a beautiful family!!!!
congratulations
xo

Bridget said...

So happy to read your post! It looks and sounds like things went well just as I hoped they would. Jillian is an absolute doll as is her sweet big sister! I knew she would take to sweet Lia. They will be the best sisters! I am so happy for all of you and can't wait to check in tomorrow. Hope you are sleeping tight right now. Enjoy those sweet girls sweet Mama!

Marla said...

Omg Kate! I have tears in my eyes reading the post and then I burst into tears when I see Lia with the pandas and see that sweet, sweet little girl.

So happy your first day was a success! Lia is an amazing big sister. And Jillian looks adorable!

Sending prayers! xo

Kim and Dennis said...

I was so anxious to get home from work and see your blog! I am so happy for you. So glad that Lia is with you and being such a great big sister! Love, love the photos! Looking forward to the next post.

Erin said...

So precious! What a beauty she is... just like her big sister and her mom. So glad everything went so well!

Jodee Leader said...

Congrats! Jillian is absolutely darling!

Danielle Moss said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Jillian is beautiful. She and Lia look so sweet together! So so so so happy for you. Just in time to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with her family...right where she belongs!!

Tera said...

Oh, she is precious!! It's been a long wait for you but Jillian seems to be the perfect fit! Congrats!!
-sweetgirls from RQ

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

More than 4 years later FINALLY I can say congratulations on your new baby girl!

She. Is. Gorgeous!

It wasn't what we imagined...it was better:)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congratulations on becoming a family of FOUR! She is just adorable! (and it so helps to have jie jie there, doesn't it?)

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO thankful you have your sweet girl~ she is precious! LOVED seeing you today... what a treat! We drove by your hotel today on the way to a park. Blessings and love!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh these are so sweet! I love how Jillian is reaching out to Lia's chin in that one....it melts my heart. What a long journey to get you here but it looks like it was worth every single second. praying for you all and rejoicing today for your blessings!!!

Casey said...

How sweet!!! Lia is an amazing sister!!

Aline Huey said...

Wonderful news. God bless you.